Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Grateful

 I know I spend a lot of time on my blog, and social media and other places, sharing all my woe and misery. In all honestly, I do it because it's the only place I can vent my true thoughts and feelings without fear of reprisals or having it used against me. No filter, it's generally how I see life on most days. But then there are times, like right now, that I can block out all of the noise and hear things I don't always hear.

I am lucky. 18 months ago I was put on "furlough" because of the COVID pandemic. I didn't "work", but was able to keep it together enough to keep a roof over my head and food on the table every night. When things started to subside in the summer of 2021, I was able to grab a position in an area that I wanted to work that was ready to go full steam ahead in reopening. It meant picking up and moving (again), but it was something I had done so many times before that it seemed like second nature.

And then I landed. The amazing people who were on my staff were so professional, talented, and dedicated. Even when the major hurdles were thrown at us (which they definitely were), we handled them. My team understood when I wasn't able to be there because I was handling something else. My team understood when a vacancy happened in the org chart I needed to fill it until we found a replacement. We worked together, we trusted each other to get our jobs done, and we pulled off what many others may not have been able to achieve.

And so we land to today. As I've told others (including my boss), I think we are so close to where I want to bring us professionally. One or two more key people and we'll get there. Instead of just getting the job done, we'll do it better than it's been done in the past. People will see it and be amazed.

90% of the time I like the people I work with on a day-to-day basis. Even more so at one of the two locations I oversee. We all work towards a common goal. We all respect each others opinions and are free to express them in a non-judgemental environment. But more importantly... not only are they are good at what they do, but they are good "people". And at the end of the day, that's what is important to me.

2 comments:

kylie said...

I once had a boss who said he wanted employ good people because he could train them in skills but he couldn't change their fundamental approach to life.

I'm so glad you have a team/ teams you trust. It sounds like a great working environment which is good for everyone.

And you deserve it

Megan said...

Go Bob!