Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I'm a little bit jealous

It's been a strange couple of days since I announced to the staff and others on the campus that I was leaving. Some people have been very supportive and excited about the move. Some have been upset, even to the point of tears in one case. Most have been apprehensive about what will happen next, who will take over, when will the position be filled, etc. For those people, I've tried to be supportive in return and give them as much information as I have gotten from my boss. Overall it is the kind of reactions I have seen other places and I haven't really been too surprised by any of them.

The reaction that I have received that has been unusual is the "I'm a little bit jealous" reaction. I don't mean jealous of all of the positives that this new job brings like opening a new building, having all the latest technology, and hiring your own staff from scratch. I think most everyone would love to be in that situation. The "I'm a little bit jealous" reaction has been to leaving SJSU. Many of the people here realize that things are messed up. Anyone who has read this blog for even a little while knows some of the issues to which I am referring. It is a non-positive work environment that has been unhealthy (at least to me) and at times can be worse. People are jealous that I am escaping. Some people are sad that it is this exact atmosphere that consistently drives talented people to seek out opportunities elsewhere.

But yet they choose to stay. Tied here by necessity, or reluctance to change, or nearing retirement age and just putting in their time, they choose to stay. They wish something could be done, but don't have the confidence the boss can make it happen. Some know the boss can't, or won't, change the atmosphere so they play their games and make the situation untenable. But yet they choose to stay and be a little jealous of those who leave. Privately they share their plans and intentions with me, safe in knowing that I am leaving and won't pass them on to others. "Only X years until my retirement," or "my plan is to only stay until (fill in the blank)." They want to escape, they know what is here can not be fixed, but they only make plans or dream to leave.

Perhaps I'm braver than I think I am. Perhaps I don't fully realize the magnitude of picking up and moving on. I do know that I refuse to work in the environment that exists here. I do know I am extremely fortunate not only to be escaping, but also in finding a dream job in a dream location (winter not withstanding). I know I will feel sorry the good people who remain here and are left to feel a little bit jealous. But they choose to remain.

10 comments:

Merely Me said...

Ipso Facto, leaving, strangers - they all bring on, You're telling me this because...? Syndrome.
I'm liking the changes you have made to your blog! Thanks!

kylie said...

yes bob, it's BRAVE. i doubt i could do it

Cece said...

Just keep the positivity coming. Perhaps, you leaving will spark a fire under some of those good people and give them the courage to make changes.

padraig said...

> Perhaps I don't fully realize the
> magnitude of picking up and
> moving on.

You probably don't. Change is a bitch of a thing for many, many of the co-inhabitants of our little green ball of dirt.

Caltech has a lot of the same problems as SJSU, I imagine.

Leah said...

You are incredibly bold and brave. I am so impressed. You took matters in hand, although it was difficult and you were down. Now it's paid off. I've found that many (if not most) are unable to break out of the status quo, through fear, inertia, you name it. Very few can do what you've done.

Suzanne said...

I watched the video. It's beautiful!!! Hockey is going to be insane there! It's such a beautiful facility and right on the lake. Gorgeous. Where are you going to live? I think you should live in one of the sky boxes!!! Marry me...I'm a terrific wedding planner! (I know Leah's laughing!)

Baby, I'm so happy for you. You are a brave soul and I think being in Minnesota will do you a world of good. I also think you have to leave this chapter of your life behind. It's been a difficult journey and it's almost over. The people you leave behind will find there way, with or without you. That's the way it works. Now go...git...

I love you so,
Blottie

P.S. When you hire, surround yourself with awesome people. Know your weaknesses and find people who compliment you. A bad boss is one who doesn't know his/her weaknesses. Have fun and good luck! XO

just bob said...

Thanks for hanging out everyone. With all of the moves I've made in the past ten years, it doesn't really seem like that big a deal to me anymore. But, I plan on this being the last move in my life/career in a loooooong time.

Merely Me said...

The weather there might change your mind about that!

Suzanne said...

Bob, just read your comment on Maonin'. Left a message and pushed Megs out of the way to do it. Blottie #1 doesn't fool around!!!

Suzanne said...

I do believe the correct spelling is...moaning!!!