Tuesday, August 4, 2009

He became a hero

While I was in Boston at a conference a few weeks ago, I found out that one of my long time friends "T" was battling cancer. Apparently, he has been since sometime in January. "T" is generally a very quiet, private person so it didn't really surprise me all that much that he didn't feel comfortable spreading that kind of news. It did somewhat disappoint me that others that would have known the situation didn't clue in those of us who live 3,000 miles away. In a couple of those cases, it didn't surprise me because since leaving the company 2+ years ago I fell out of favor with them, never a part of their Philly clique.

I got a chance to talk with "T" this morning for about an hour. He sounded different than I remember, a little weaker than before but upbeat. The good news is that his doctor believes that all of the cancer has been removed and did not spread to his lymph nodes. "T" is still recovering from all of the surgeries and will have to undergo one last round of chemotherapy when he is strong enough just to make sure everything was removed. He's had great support from his family and those immediately around him, and has returned to light work even though he's not supposed to be.

In typical "T" fashion, he said it's been an interesting spring/summer. That would be the understatement of the year given his current situation. But he's hopeful, upbeat, and assured me that we'll get together in September when I'm back on the east coast in Providence. I'm going to hold him to that promise, even if he won't have his formerly customary Miller Lite at his side. "T" is the third friend I've had that was diagnosed with cancer. "W" died from colorectal cancer in 1995. "S" died from an aggressive form of melanoma in 2004. "T" is one of my closer friends, someone I know I can trust, someone I can confide in, someone who shares my interests (even if he is a Yankee fan), and someone who shares my values.

I had to fight back some tears and was choked up today talking with "T." I was very emotional about him still being alive and at the same time scared that he may not be sooner than he should. I thought about both "W" and "S" and desperately do not want "T" to join them. I thought about the good times that "T" and I have had, the long conversations, the friendly Red Sox/Yankees banter, commiserating over shared difficulties and celebrating shared successes. "T" became more than a friend during that phone call, he became a hero.

14 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'll send only good thoughts into the universe and you do the same. A close friend is a gift to be cherished, so hold on to him with all your might and remember to have hope and faith.

This is a beautiful post Bob. Thank's for sharing your thoughts with all of us.

Much love,
Blottie

just bob said...

Thanks Suze. I have no idea how I would react if put in the same situation, but I hope I could be as strong as him.

And let us not forget our Robyn... who has done it not once but twice. She's a hero too!

Suzanne said...

You're such a gem and so right. I've been through cancer with friends and family and like you wonder how I'd behave if it happened to me.

Thank's for reminding me to visit Robyn. She hasn't stopped by too much, so I've left her alone. I've decided to click the link and go over there and bug her! She's a pretty awesome chic.

Hope you're having a decent day dear.

XO

Megan said...

I hope he makes it.

Ree said...

Good thoughts for T.

Leah said...

Well, Bob, I too have seen people near and dear to me die of cancer, which was scary and agonizing. But then too, I have seen some survive it, like my dear dear mom. Good cheer and positive thoughts and energy were always the quintessence of dealing with it. I mean that with all my heart.

xo to you and to your friend

Kookaburra said...

It's great that you spent some time reminiscing with your close friend "T"; albeit under such a situation as you have described in your heartfelt Post.

Please do your best to stay positive and know that my thoughts are with you at this time.

kylie said...

and he should be a hero. this world doesnt pay enough attention to the quiet achievers, the people with real courage and grace....

T has my prayers and best wishes and so do you

just bob said...

Thanks everyone. I'll bundle up all of those good wishes, thoughts and prayers and send them along. You gals and guys are the bestest.

Now, make sure you stop by Blottie's Birthday Bash and show the 50 year old some love!

Anonymous said...

You made my eyes tear up. I had a friend who died of breast cancer at the young age of 41. She was such an inspiration and so positive through the whole thing. This post reminded me of her because she was a hero too.

xo
RC

Anonymous said...

It's a big shock when you hear news like this. (Iremember how I felt when I first heard my dear sister has breast cancer). I am sure you will have been a great help to him, talking to him as you did. I hope it all goes well for him, and that you will have a special time with him in September.

Cece said...

I my experience, when the person fighting the cancer remains upbeat and positive as "T" seems to be, then usually that person remains ahead in the battle longer. I'll give you the same advice I have been given about my sister throughout the years. Spend as much quality time with him as you can. Weather it be via phone, email, in person, ect. My best wishes goes out to you as you are dealing with these emotions, but also to your friend as he battles the fight of his life. It may also be helpful to know that I understand how you feel and anytime you need to talk about it, I am here.

xo
cc

Merely Me said...

Sorry, Bob.
Good thoughts and prayers on my end going out for everything/one.

Megan said...

New post, please. This is bringing me down. Especially since I had dinner last weekend with an incredibly upbeat lady with no hair...