Monday, June 23, 2008

A Matter of Balance


It's a day to day struggle with balance when you live with depression, even with the relatively low-grade dysthymia that I have. Today has been a battle to keep the scales level, sometimes feeling like they're going to tilt over to the downward side of stability. There are chances that I choose to take, positions that I put myself into which I know may lead to the place I'm in right now. It's never an easy decision to make, whether to charge forward into the battle or to stay in the foxhole and the safety it brings. I weigh the good with the bad, the risk versus the reward, and roll the dice on whether the bullet is going to hit me hard, just graze me, or miss me entirely.

Saturday night and the resulting backlash illustrate this melee of the mind that goes on all too frequently. I went to go see O.A.R. in concert in San Francisco. It was almost like a mini-vacation; getting away from home, seeing the show, and staying in the city overnight at a somewhat nice hotel. But actually going to the concert was the dicey proposition. Concerts are social gatherings, places for groups of people to get together to be entertained and have fun. Those situations put me in an awkward place and fire the first shot in the war. It's difficult for me being around couples and groups, having to ward off the social anxiety of going solo. You would think having done it my whole life it would be no big deal, but it never gets any easier. I concentrated on the music which helped a great deal by narrowing the focus and blocking out the other 1,000 or so people. It's the rebound down afterward that's the bullet in the air. The feelings of anxiety, knowing I've always been a group of one and always will be, creep into the mind. Those feelings go to work gathering their troops, their favorites being insecurity and worthlessness, and begin their assault on my brain. Social gatherings are a constant reminder that I won't have what most people enjoy. I avoid them as much as possible, picking and choosing ones which may offer the greatest value for the least trauma.

So right now, I labor to bring the scale into equilibrium. Trying to find a way to fend off the negative thoughts and feelings, I'll retreat into my foxhole once again. I'll find solitary things to do like reading or crossword puzzles which if chosen correctly won't involve any references to couples. If you don't see me commenting a whole lot on your posts, hopefully you'll understand. It's tough to decide if this concert was a good idea or not, whether hearing the band was enough of a positive to outweigh the resulting anxiety and angst. As I write this, I think I only got grazed by the bullet and might be fine after awhile. If it hit me harder, then I can expect The Fog to roll in to overcome me. Balance is a delicate matter.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I hope you manage to stay on an even keel Bob. I had post natal depression for over two years and unfortunately it can be a very silent condition. By that I mean you often feel very much alone because there is still a certain amount of stigma attached to any kind of mental illness. Sad but true.

Wishing happy thoughts for you.

Anonymous said...

Bob, I have suffered from depression and anxiety ever since I was conscious. I know what you're going through. I've been on Paxil now for almost 10 years. It's really helped me get back in control of my mood swings.

I've done lots of therapy and read many, many books on the subject. Bottom line is you are NOT alone. And you will never achieve balance. I figured that out a long time ago so stop trying to or you'll drive yourself mad. The only thing you can do is ride the wave and breathe. Once your depression passes you can walk out into the sunshine again. Be patient and kind with yourself. Tell that voice in your head that says, "You're stupid. You're a looser. What's wrong with you. Can't you just snap out of it." to shut to the fuck up and go away.

You are okay. You are good enough. You are a fantastic person. You are worthy of love. Tell these things to yourself every day even if you think you are a lying sack of shit for saying it.

And remember, your blogging buddies are here for you. Even when you can't be there for yourself.

This too shall pass.

Jenny said...

Ultimately I think you'll find it was a very good decision to go to the concert... and I also understand the need to "retreat" right now... but keep facing this by moving forward and slowly.... you'll see you're going to be just fine. We're all fighting something, that's for sure. The work you're doing may not feel good .... but I believe it's the right thing to do.

P.S. Hitting a heavy bag really hard also helps. :-)

Suzanne said...

Bob,

You're going to be fine. Take the time you need to get through this and know that we're all here for you. It's obvious from the last three comments you're loved, and I love you too, so be gentle with yourself and never hesitate to rely on all of us when you need support.

I've found blogging to be one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life because the friends I've made are genuine and kind. They support me when I'm low, laugh and cry with me, give sage advice when I need it, gently scold me if I open my mouth too much, and let me relax without guilt when I need that too. We have an amazing community of friends and we're very, very fortunate. So see Bob, you aren't alone. You may need to be alone for a time to get past this, but we won't leave you. We never do because we're kinda like velcro! Oh, and also because we want to see you thrive.

Bob, if you don't mind I'd like to talk to Gypsy, RC and Anonomouy (please, let me attempt that again!), Anonymous Boxer for a moment. The three of you are terrific. What wonderful, helpful words. And RC, thanks for alerting me that Bob needed a bit of support (I love you). You see Bob, that's what we do for one another. When someone needs love or hugs, we rally the troups.

By the way, Inner Voices needs a bit of lovin' too. Life is very stressful for him and his family right now, and he's going to take a break as well. Please send good vibes his way if you have the time and energy.

Bob, I adore you. You know that, so please take good care of yourself and don't forget we're all here for you. You're a great guy, so allow yourself to believe it.

XO Suze

Cece said...

Bob,
I cannot from a personal perspective tell you that I know what you are going through, because most of the time, my moods are very even. My husband, on the other hand, is suffering from depression, so I can at least visualize how you are feeling. Isuprised that I don't suffer from depression because I have battle with my weight my entire life. But somehow, I have always been able to maintain a positive self image of myself. Yes, I may be fat,but I still have a pretty face, or a great personality, or I'm smart, or I'm creative. That sort of thing. I do believe that for every fault that we have, we have at least two positive traits about ourselves. Maybe during you stint in the foxhole, you can make a list of only positive things about yourself and try to focus on those. I do not know if this would help, but it may be worth a shot. I can only hope and pray, that the bullet just grazed you and that you are able to quickly pull yourself out of your hole. Please know that your blogging friends are great people to talk to. You really do have a wonderful group of people that read and comment here, so lean on us and let us try to help you the best that we can from a distance. Good luck, and take care of yourself.

Always,
Cecile

Queen Goob said...

I'm a shit for not staying on top of things and being there for my friends.

I can't say I understand what you're going through because I can't. I CAN say I understand the feeling of aloneness and have come to the understanding that I won't find the love of my life and I'll most likely be that little old lady in rollers and a housecoat feeding all of the neighborhood cats. But you know what? I'm finally cool with that. It took awhile to reach that state of "ok-ness" but I finally did.

Just know you have a number of friends that think about you and care. We'll be here through the good times and the bad.